Sauerkraut is beloved in the fermented food world.
Dating back a couple thousand years ago, today, kraut is regaining popularity as we get to know more about the benefits of fermentation. Fermentation is a process initiated when the microorganisms of that food break down sugars and starches and transform the original food into a more nutritious version of itself.
When cabbage is fermented into kraut; the mineral, nutrient and beneficial bacteria content is boosted. When we consume kraut it lines our intestines with good bacteria and promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout our intestines.
Kraut is particularly beneficial for us because the fiber in cabbage is also a prebiotic, which nourish the healthy bacteria in our intestines. So when we eat sauerkraut our gut and entire body is very happy. My favorite way to enjoy sauerkraut daily is to eat a spoonful straight for the the jar, but if you're not ready for that yet, try these starter tips.
Here are 5 easy ways to get kraut on your plate today:
1. With an avocado. I like to mash up an avocado in a bowl with a little sea salt and pepper and top it off with raw kraut. You could also make yourself some avocado toast with a little kraut topping.
2. On scrambled eggs. If you want to spruce up your morning scramble with a little kick of probiotic goodness, just top your omelet or scramble with raw kraut.
3. With a salad. Sauerkraut is a nice addition to your regular salad. It's also nice to mix it with something sweet, so try this sauerkraut apple salad.
4. As a burger topping. Whether you prefer a grass fed beef burger, a veggie burger or my personal favorite a mushroom burger, kraut makes a great topping.
5. As a pizza topping. If you are looking for a new way to enjoy pizza then try this sauerkraut bratwurst recipie. So good!
What are some of your favorite ways to eat sauerkraut? Would love to hear from you in the comments.